Effective Blackjack Strategy Techniques
March 28, 2023
Blackjack is a favourite casino game among New Zealanders as it combines luck and skill. Unlike online slots or roulette, blackjack gives a lot of room for strategies that can potentially increase your chances of winning. Using a blackjack basic strategy is a common practice among experienced players. Another casino blackjack strategy is the card-counting technique, which is a more advanced option that provides an edge over the house. Below we will cover the basic blackjack terms, as well as basic strategy and betting systems that can make you a more successful player.
Basic Terms a Blackjack Player Should Know
There are a few basic terms you're bound to come across when playing blackjack at an online casino:
- Blackjack dealer. This is the person (or computer algorithm in the RNG-based version) responsible for dealing cards and managing gameplay.
- Shoe. This is a special device used to deal cards and contains multiple packs of cards.
- Hit. It is a game move where you draw another card from the dealer.
- Stand. It means to keep your current hand without taking any action.
- Double Down. It means buying an extra card by doubling your original bet.
- Split. It is to split your current hand containing a pair or face cards.
- Insurance. It is a bet that the dealer will show a blackjack hand with a 2:1 payout if the prediction is correct. It is available when the dealer's face-up card is an Ace.
- Bust. This is a situation where the hand goes over 21 points in value which means you lose automatically.
- Hard Hand. This is the hand where no Ace is present.
- Soft Hand. It is a hand that contains at least one Ace.
Once you understand the terms above, you'll be able to learn a blackjack strategy quicker and use a chart easily when playing this awesome gambling game online. By choosing His Majesty King Billy as your gambling destination, you can try many popular versions of blackjack in a risk-free demo mode.
Card Values at Online Blackjack
To use a strategy correctly and to understand how to win blackjack more often, you must quickly assess your starting hand. To do this, you must understand how card values are determined in the game:
- Numerical cards are worth as much as their face value. For example, having a 5-9 starting hand, its value is 5+9=14.
- Face cards from Jack to King are valued at 10 points each.
- An Ace can take either 1 or 11 depending on the value of the other cards forming the hand.
Knowing how the cards are valued will help you make quicker and better decisions at the table.
Basic Casino Blackjack Strategy Precepts
Blackjack basic strategy is a set of recommended plays that can help maximize your chances of winning when playing blackjack. Below we look at the best possible blackjack strategy moves using cards.
If your hand has a value of 8 or lower, you should choose the Hit option as it will increase your chances of picking a valuable hand and beating a blackjack dealer. Stand with a hand of value 17 or higher, as the chances of going over 21 points with an extra card are quite high.
The basic strategy suggests using this betting option if you have an initial hand of 11 points value. That means you have a good chance of drawing a card worth 10 points and forming a blackjack hand. If you're successful, you'll win twice as much money.
Players are advised to split pairs of Aces and 8s. Since an Ace can be valued at 11 points, it gives an excellent chance of forming a hand worth 21 points. A pair of 8s is a weak hand that can be improved by splitting.
Never split pairs of 10s and 5s. A pair of 10s is a strong hand on its own that has a pretty good chance of giving you a 1:1 payout. The 5s pair is a weak hand that can easily be improved with the Hit option.
Used mainly by experienced players, surrender is an optional move that allows a player to forfeit their hand and receive half of their original bet back. There are two types of surrender: early and late, depending on when you are in the game. While early surrender is possible before the dealer checks for blackjack, late is more popular and is available after checking for blackjack.
With a weak starting hand and the belief that any other move won't produce the desired result, surrender may be the best solution. This strategic move can reduce your losses, as it allows you to get back half of your bet. However, it is not always the best move, and before using it, you should properly evaluate your blackjack odds.
Betting Systems Used for Blackjack
There are several popular betting systems used by blackjack players. Designed for roulette, they also perform well in the popular card game:
- Martingale. According to this blackjack betting strategy, you will double your bet every time you lose, and return to the original when your luck runs out. The idea is that eventually, you will win and make up for your losses.
- Paroli. Using this betting system, you will double your bet if you win, making it essentially a reverse Martingale strategy. The idea here is to maximize your winning potential.
- 1-3-2-6 system. According to this strategy, you increase your bet after a win and reset after a loss. The sequence used in the name represents the number of chips you should bet on each hand, and you move on to the next number in the sequence after each win.
Betting systems do not affect the advantage of the house. To minimize the house edge, you need to sharpen your knowledge of basic strategy as well as master card-counting techniques.
The Best Way to Learn Blackjack Betting Systems
Before using the blackjack best strategy, you need to study it. You can spend weeks or even months learning strategies and betting systems from guides, but there's nothing better than mastering it right in practice. At The land of King Billy, you'll be able to find out how to play blackjack online in free demo mode.
Why should I trust the basic strategy?
A basic blackjack strategy is a set of guidelines for making the best play moves for different gambling cases. It was created after numerous computer simulations and proves its effectiveness in practice literally every day.
How can I memorize all these guidelines?
Thanks to the rise of the internet, you can find tons of information online. You don't have to memorize all the recommendations prescribed in the basic strategy, because there are ready-made charts in various internet portals. We recommend looking through the basic strategy charts so that your eyes can learn to find the right guidelines as quickly as possible.
How do players use the card counting technique?
Learn a simple card-counting system where you divide all the cards into three groups and assign each a certain value: 2-6 is -1, 7-9 is 0 and 10-A is +1. Keep track of which cards come out of the deck and keep the total count based on the above numbers (-1, 0 and +1). This way, you will have an idea of what cards are left in the deck. However, there is no point in using the card-counting technique at RNG-based blackjack, as each card is dealt randomly out of the countless number of decks.
How to place bets in online blackjack?
Whether you play the RNG-based or the live dealer version of the game, you'll have an easy and intuitive control panel with buttons for various actions such as selecting your bet size, Hit, Stand, Split, and more.
< Back to the blog